Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Features from others (Read 6184 times)
Supapong

Features from others
Oct 21st, 2005 at 6:39am
Print Post  
This program mostly be a good xml editor really, despite it is meant to be a 'viewer' rather.
So I'd like to suggest some more feature like this:-
- Use [Insert] and [Ctrl] + [Insert] to add a new node under or beside the current node. (Currently there is only right click to do this.
- Remind and confirm if we are going to leave all edited item to 'New' XML. (I just lost my work when I press [Ctrl] + [N])

I like user interface design of WMHelp XMLPad and would like XML Viewer to get some of them.
However, I know that this is 'Viewer' not 'Editor' and the editing function is just surplus, not main feature.
I appreciate the simple editing function in XML Viewer.

Try XML EditPro for "tree editing function"
Try XMLPad for UI and other features (if you plan this program to be XML editor in the future Wink)
Merging all good features together will come the best XML Editor.

Will add more once I get new idea
Thanks

IP Logged

Meppy
God Member

MindFusion support

Re: Features from others
Reply #1 - Oct 21st, 2005 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the suggestions.

Try this version:

https://mindfusion.org/_beta/XMLViewer.zip

Now it has some new keyboard shortcuts such as Ctrl+I to insert a new item. Look around the context menus and the main menu to see more shortcuts.

Now the viewer should also ask you to confirm closing a modified document.

I don't have much time nowadays to make this a fully fledged editor, but can find some spare hours at 1-2 AM each night to add more features  8)

Regards
Meppy

IP Logged

Supapong

Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2005 at 4:30am
Print Post  
Good job!!!
Actually I prefer Ctrl + Insert than Ctrl + I, it's ok because it's much easier to have keyboard shortcuts too.
Also I think double-click for editing value (by pop up a new dialog box to edit like Alt + Enter) is really good functioning this program should have.

However I found that I can not rename any single folder and attribute.
I tried 2 clicks (not double clicks) like renaming in Windows Explorer and other programs.
I tried to find 'Rename' in context menu (right click menu) but not found.
To work around this I have to create a new folder and move all child node into the new folder.

Although this may be just a hobby of yours and it says itself is just 'Viewer', I think it can beat many other XML 'Editor'(s) really.

IP Logged

Supapong

Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2005 at 4:43am
Print Post  
Oh! Oh...

Just find that it will always ask for saving even the file has just saved.

Another feature I would suggest is opening many xml files in the same program.
Then comes the menu 'Close' in 'File' menu.

IP Logged

Meppy
God Member

MindFusion support

Reply #4 - Oct 25th, 2005 at 11:33am
Print Post  
You are right about the saving confirmation. I've also found that editing only the value of a tag does not trigger the 'dirty' flag so won't ask you to save later...

Anyways i'will fix that and upload a new version with the fix. Then there is a plenty of work to do on your other suggestions, probably will take 2-3 weeks and will release it as version 3 then

Regards
Meppy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint