Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Performance and Limitation Q and A (Read 2973 times)
agrudzien
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Performance and Limitation Q and A
Aug 17th, 2009 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Hi Stoyo,

A few questions about permfomance and limitations regarding DiagramLite.

What are the limitations in terms of number of Nodes and Edges that can be handled?  Does it depend on the resources available to the client machine?  We are looking to diagram Nodes and edges in the thousands range.  For example, a smaller graph for is 1000 nodes and 8000 edges.

At the above node and edge counts arrangment slows down considerably.  Is thre a way to improve performance?  Maybe build, generate and arrange the diagram using the MindFusion.Graphs namespace, then convert it to a silverlight diagram?

If you have any direction let me know.  Thank you very much.

Regards,
Adam

IP Logged

Stoyo
God Member

MindFusion support

Re: Performance and Limitation Q and A
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Hi Adam,

From what I can see, it takes a lot of time just to add the items, even without running layout algorithms. We can spend some time optimizing this and get speeds comparable to the WinForms version (2 seconds for 1000 nodes and 8000 links):

http://mindfusion.eu/demos/flowchartnet/samples/StressTest.publish/StressTest.ap...

As for the layout algorithms, I don't think they can get much faster than the current implementation. If you are still using CircularLayout, you could set SiftingRounds to 0 to get the fastest possible speed, for the price of more crossing links. Though with 8000 links, I don't think the users will notice any difference even if there are fewer crossings.

Regards,
Stoyan

IP Logged

agrudzien
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Performance and Limitation Q and A
Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Thanks again.

We are not concerned with links crossing which does make the diagrams build and load faster. I think now, our limitation is silverlight based. If we use too much memory the client browser is crashing. Not something anyone can solve really. We are considering a forms application that communicates with a webservice.

Thanks for the quick little test app by the way.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint