Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Max item height in Timetable View (Read 3650 times)
dcollis
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Max item height in Timetable View
Aug 18th, 2009 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
I use a horizontal timeline which through the day gradually gets more and more items added to it (that tend to overlap).

When there are lots of items, this looks quite good, with the items being on top of each other and their height sized correctly so they all fit on the screen.

However, when there are only one or two items on the grid in different time periods, they span the entire screen vertically - and this looks a little bad from a UI perspective.

Is there anyway to maintain the resizing of the items when more are added while preventing them from going over a particular height.

Basically, it would be nice to have a property that stated what the maximum height an item could reach was.

Thoughts?

IP Logged

Meppy
God Member

MindFusion support

Re: Max item height in Timetable View
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2009 at 6:30am
Print Post  
Unfortunately at this time only the minimum height can be specified (through the TimetableSettings.MinItemSize property). We will check how hard it would be to implement maximum size restriction.

Meppy

IP Logged

dcollis
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2009 at 8:38am
Print Post  
Any thoughts on how I might do it manually? Maybe with a bit of a hack on a render event or something?

IP Logged

Meppy
God Member

MindFusion support

Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2009 at 10:53am
Print Post  
You can use custom rendering on items or custom item viewers to make the items appear smaller, but operations such as hit-testing will be made against the items' original position. Additionally, once the items are laid out, reducing their size will increase the distance between adjacent items because the layout engine will be unaware of the smaller item size.

If these side effects are acceptable, I can send you an example, reducing the size of the items visually.

Regards,
Meppy

P.S.: The maximum item size restriction has been added to the list of requests and it is very likely that it will be available in the next release of Planner.NET.

IP Logged

dcollis
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2009 at 11:17am
Print Post  
I wouldn't mind trying the example. It's worth a go - if it's not too much effort.

You say the max item idea has been added to the list of requests. How long is it likely to take for a version with this in to come out? - Just an estimate would be helpful.
(We've just had a release of the software i'm writing, so it would be good to know so we can plan this to fit with our next test-release cycle).

Thanks for your help by the way! The quick responses are really appreciated.

IP Logged

Meppy
God Member

MindFusion support

Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2009 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Now that I started working on the sample more problems pop up... Specifically, the custom drawing only affects the contents of the item (its resize and move bands are not affected by it) and when the item is selected it looks very weird.

Anyway, here is a sample:

https://mindfusion.eu/_samples/_sample_MaxItemSize.zip

The next release of the control is currently scheduled for the end of September, which is subject to change.

Regards,
Meppy

IP Logged

dcollis
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2009 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
It does behave a little strangely doesn't it Smiley

I think probably we'll have to wait for your next release.

If you want us to beta test it before your release date, let me know - i'd be very happy to try out the new functionality in our application.

Thanks for giving the posting the sample project - I might try and play around with it a bit, see if I can get it to suit our needs.

IP Logged

Meppy
God Member

MindFusion support

Reply #7 - Aug 21st, 2009 at 11:02am
Print Post  
I have sent you a private message with a new version of Planner.NET. Feel free to post comments.

Regards,
Meppy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint