Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Group in flowchart with non-children links (Read 2871 times)
kc13
YaBB Newbies

Group in flowchart with non-children links
Sep 2nd, 2009 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
How can I create a group in a diagram that has both "children" nodes attached as well as a node that is not part of the group?

The problem I am having is that I am using a workflow style of diagram and I need to display a group that can be expanded and collapsed, but, I only want to expand and collapse it's child nodes... and not the node(s) that are attached as part of the flow.  I.e. I want links to attached nodes and non-attached nodes that do not collapse.

Hopefully you can understand what I mean... ???

IP Logged

Stoyo
God Member

MindFusion support

Re: Group in flowchart with non-children links
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Hi,

You could set ExpandButtonAction = RaiseEvents, handle the ExpandButtonClicked event, and hide only the child nodes by setting their Visible property to false.

I hope that helps,
Stoyan

IP Logged

kc13
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
That may work for just the expand/collapse aspect... But, I also want the other functionality of the grouping and hierarchy to work only for the children also. Like, moving the parent (and only the children)... autodeleteitems functionality etc.  Sounds like I would need to override all of that functionality as well.

I think I'll have to change the design and not use a "group".

IP Logged

Stoyo
God Member

MindFusion support

Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 5:31am
Print Post  
Why do you need to add nodes other than children to the group then?

IP Logged

kc13
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
A little difficult to explain unless you knew about our software...

But, basically, in my case, the "group" appears in a workflow... (i.e. there are a group of procedures that are processed and then the workflow proceeds after processing).  So, I need to link the next node in the workflow to that group... but it is not part of the group.  The group represents processes that also have dependencies only within that group.

The problem is with the subsequent node (and the nodes following that node) that follows the group in the workflow.  They are linked as children of the group.

IP Logged

Stoyo
God Member

MindFusion support

Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Can't you represent the workflow with a DiagramLink between the group's main node and the next node in the flow? You might set it invisible if you don't want it to be seen. If you need this only as some kind of logical grouping, I suppose we could add a new AttachTo overloaded method that will add items to the group without them being affected otherwise when the group is collapsed or moved.

IP Logged

kc13
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Yes... it is more of a logical grouping.

I tried connecting the next node in the workflow to the main node in the group with a diagramlink and although upon initial view of the diagram it appeared Ok (probably because we are also laying it out the way we want it) the node(s) after that group node acted like they were part of the group.

Right now, I am trying to change the design a little by using a tablenode (or treeviewnode) for the logical grouping. But, it does make it a little more difficult (or less intuitive) to allow editing of the elements I am putting inside of the tablenode (opposed to simply clicking on a node and editing the properties we associate with it).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint