Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic win XP enorm mem consuption on print preview (Read 2749 times)
ulthien

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

win XP enorm mem consuption on print preview
Sep 16th, 2014 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Hi Stoyo,

just recently we noticed that when a user invokes print preview with some 150 nodes (these are overlayed with bitmap graphics, each ca 150x200 px big), that the consumption of process memory goes up for 500+ MB before it draws and drops down again under win XP.

The same application under win 7 has much less mem footprint, approximately 2.3 times less.

Anyone aware of these caching problems? One user got out of mem crash on XP :/

cheers

IP Logged

Stoyo
God Member

MindFusion support

Re: win XP enorm mem consuption on print preview
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2014 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Hi,

What page size and resolution are you using? Also are you seeing these differences when printing on same printer and with same resolution from XP and 7 systems?

According to this article, WinXP and Win7 use different XPS rasterization services, and the service might choose to generate a full-page bitmap for a page rather than sending small stripes, so I suppose that might be happening on the XP system:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff563662(v=vs.85).aspx

If that's the problem, I don't think you'll find a way to control it from WPF, but you might have to instruct your users to use lower resolution and poorer color formats, or upgrade their OS already. E.g. see the 600 DPI example above - it would take about 130 MB per A4 page if printing in true color and generating full bitmaps per page.

The print drivers might choose to send bitmaps to the printer when the print job contains graphics or postscript commands that are not supported by the device.

Stoyan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint