Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Microsoft Access 2003 (Read 3117 times)
James
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Microsoft Access 2003
Sep 14th, 2006 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Hi - I'm interested in using this control in Access 2003.

I've just downloaded it and read through the help file - and it looks pretty much what we are after.

Do you have customers using this - are there anythings to watch out for ?

Specifically wewant to be able to create database records when a new object is created on the diagram - so need to capture the create event from the control

Also potentially to create a diagram from existing data - so your auto layout looks good.

And finally - the save layout as a text string means we can save the whole layout in a database table - which would be excellent.

Any advice / pointers gratefully received.

Thanks

IP Logged

Stoyo
God Member

MindFusion support

Re: Microsoft Access 2003
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2006 at 5:03am
Print Post  
Hi,

FlowChartX does not work with any Access versions from 95 to 2000, and we haven't tried it on 2003.

On the older Access versions, dropping the control onto a form causes a buffer overflow. Our developers have found that Access has a fixed size buffer for OCX type library information, and it can contain information for at most 42 events. Since FlowChartX has much more events, Access crashes when it tries to populate its type-library info buffer.

Now that might be fixed in Access 2003, but we don't have an Office2003 copy to try this. If it still does not work, the only way to use FlowChartX will be to create a user control that wraps FlowChartX and place that control on the Access form.

Stoyan

IP Logged

James
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2006 at 10:50am
Print Post  
Thanks for that - just tryied it in Access 2003 - and it does work - well sort of / allmost !

Control drops on and I can add objects and get at proerties etc - the problem I'm having is that not all events are available in access - this then causes the Active X to error when it (for example) fires the scroll event

Many other events (e.g. Box DoubleClick) work fine

I can't see any pattern - either in name or calling parameters.

Its a shame - as it nearly works - and would be a lot easier than having to write my own VB activeX to wrap it up (which I have doen before - but its a pain)

Any ideas ?

Thanks
James

IP Logged

James
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2006 at 10:53am
Print Post  
Hmm - I've got 47 events linked up (though some of those may be MS rather than yours I suppose)

If there is an event limit that could be a real limit I guess ?

Thansk
James

IP Logged

Stoyo
God Member

MindFusion support

Reply #4 - Sep 15th, 2006 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Older Access versions crashed immediately when you place FlowChartX on the form, even without handling any events. I guess the first time you place a control on the form, Access tries to read what events the control exposes, and it did not have enough space in its buffer to hold the 90 or so FlowChartX events.

Now if you are able to use FlowChartX on the form at all, probably that problem has been fixed to some extent in Access 2003. It might depend on the order in which events are declared in the FlowChartX type library, which of them can be handled and which not. Maybe Access still can handle only the first 42 events, but at least it does not crash...

Stoyan

IP Logged

Stoyo
God Member

MindFusion support

Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2006 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
You might check the dispatch IDs mentioned in the events list page - these IDs correspond to the order in which events are declared in the TLB.

Stoyan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint