Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Which view to define variable Periods (Read 2040 times)
Christie
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Which view to define variable Periods
Dec 4th, 2006 at 10:59am
Print Post  
I am writing a Mining Scheduling app. using Visual Studio 2005 (VB.Net) and have just bought Planner.Net  I have been struggling to do the following:
In my app. I need to identify periods over which the life of a mine will be scheduled. These period will be of variable lengths, some 3 months and some a year long.
My questions are:
Can I use Planner.Net to indicate when each period start?  Usually the start of a period demarcates the end of the previous one.
Which view would be most suited to indicate start of periods?
After all periods has been entered, would I be able to iterate through the calendar to get start, end and duration of individual periods?

Thanks

IP Logged

Meppy
God Member

MindFusion support

Re: Which view to define variable Periods
Reply #1 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 11:38am
Print Post  
>> Can I use Planner.Net to indicate when each period start?  Usually the start of a period demarcates the end of the previous one.

There are two general ways to indicate start and end of periods using Planner.NET.

The first method is to use custom drawing on the cells that represent the date at which the period starts and ends. You can then draw whatever indication suits you best. For example you can draw an arrow in the cell.

The second method is to represent the period as an appointment in Planner.NET. The start of the appointment will represent the start of the period and the end of the appointment will represent the period's end.

Using the first method, you have to keep the period's start and end times externally (which you would most likely do anyway), but it gives you the ability to define various activities (events) within a given period.

>> Which view would be most suited to indicate start of periods?

Its up to you to determine which view will be best for this type of schedules. Maybe the DayRange view, because it is linear and can contain unlimited number of days.

>> After all periods has been entered, would I be able to iterate through the calendar to get start, end and duration of individual periods?

It depends on the period representation method you choose. If you decide to use custom cell drawing, you will have to keep period start and end data outside of the control and only perform cell drawing when necessary. This way there will be now way to iterate through the available periods using Planner.NET. If, however, you represent periods as events (appointments) you can easily iterate through all available appointments by using the Schedule.Items collection.

Meppy

IP Logged

Christie
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Which view to define variable Periods
Reply #2 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Thanks...will give it a go...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint