Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Exploring Silverlight 2.0 (Read 14858 times)
koosala

Java Happens

Exploring Silverlight 2.0
Feb 15th, 2008 at 1:40am
Print Post  
Hi,

Here are a few of my understandings, please correct me if I am wrong.

1. WPFDiagram is similar to JDiagram in the functionality it offers.

2. JDiagram is written in Java and WPFDiagram against the .Net Framework 3.5

3. JDiagram can function in a browser in the form of an applet, and WPFDiagram should be able to do that in the form of XBAP (XAML Browser App)

4. If I host WPFDiagram as an XBAP, the user who sees this diagram will need the entire .Net Runtime for 3.5 installed on his machine.

Have you even explored the option of Silverlight 2.0 because that also comes with a stripped down version of the .Net Runtime and provides quite a powerful Graphics environment.
I realize it is not even Beta yet, but maybe you are confining the WPFApp to the features that would also be available in Silverlight 2.0 (when it releases), and you would have a SilverlightDiagram also with very smooth transition from WPFDiagram. A person with a MAC will be able to view the diagram.

Thanks,
Praveen

IP Logged

Stoyo
God Member

MindFusion support

Re: Exploring Silverlight 2.0
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 5:55am
Print Post  
Hi Praveen,

Quote:
1. WPFDiagram is similar to JDiagram in the functionality it offers.

Yes, the functionality is very much the same. There are only some syntax differences.

Quote:
2. JDiagram is written in Java and WPFDiagram against the .Net Framework 3.5

Correct.

Quote:
3. JDiagram can function in a browser in the form of an applet, and WPFDiagram should be able to do that in the form of XBAP (XAML Browser App)

We are still finding some security limitations while testing in WPF browser applications - many API methods throw an exception when running in the browser context. Once we clear all of them, it will be possible to use the control in a browser.

Quote:
4. If I host WPFDiagram as an XBAP, the user who sees this diagram will need the entire .Net Runtime for 3.5 installed on his machine.

Correct.

We have in mind Silverlight too, especially as a front end for our ASP.NET control, and for a future release we plan to make WpfDiagram Silverlight-compatible.

Stoyan

IP Logged

schallm
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
With Silverlight 2.0 in Beta 2, do you have an more information on your direction for a silverlight control? Will is be a part of the WPFDiagram product or will it be a separate product. Any release dates available?

We are currently looking for a silverlight solution. We would want to generate the diagram on the client using data sent from the server, but the user would not "draw" a diagram.

We would use a entity/relationship diagram. Where two entities might have multiple relationships, so multiple edges between nodes would be a requirement. We would also need the ability to respond to clicks on an entity to redraw the diagram with new data from the server on the clicked entity.

Thanks

IP Logged

Stoyo
God Member

MindFusion support

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 8:02am
Print Post  
The Silverlight control will be included in both the WPF and ASP.NET packages we offer. We never seem to meet our planned release dates so I wouldn't bet on it, but we hope to have a preview version in September.

Stoyan

IP Logged

dn
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Hi

WpfDiagram 2.0 was released last week (congrats!)
however I don't see any obvious support for Silverlight in the downloaded zip file.

Trying to add an assembly reference to it in a Silverlight project doesn't work.

I started down the path of trying to rebuild WpfDiagram sources as a Silverlight class library but there are a number of BCL dependencies missing from Silverlight, e.g. System.ICloneable, System.Collections.CollectionBase etc.

is there an ETA for a Silverlight-compatible release?

thanks

IP Logged

Stoyo
God Member

MindFusion support

Reply #5 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Hi,

We have a working Silverlight build that currently implements the ShapeNode, TableNode, DiagramLink classes and the most important properties from the big version of the control. We could upload a preview version next week if you wish to try it.

Stoyan

IP Logged

dn
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
yes I would like to try the Silverlight edition.

if you will later have DiagramNodeAdapter support working sometime after, I can work on porting other parts of our WPF app code, currently I depend heavily on databound custom WPF controls to display for each node

thanks!

IP Logged

ian
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Sep 29th, 2008 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
My company has implemented our web drawing tool using Image Maps generated from Flowchart.Net, we passed on the option to use Applet or ActiveX and had it been around at the time we would also have passed on XBAP as it requires the client to have .net 3.5 installed. We do not  want to impose any preconditions on the client to use the our app however we could probably live with preconditions coming with silverlight.

What is your roadmap for silverlight support in an official release (when) ?

Can you perhaps run down through ALL of the various options for building a wep app with MindFusion products (both now and future) so that we can be aware of all of the choices and pros and cons as it is a bit confusing to sort out.

IP Logged

Stoyo
God Member

MindFusion support

Reply #8 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 8:38am
Print Post  
We plan to release a Silverlight version with a very basic set of features in the next month or so. Next, we'll implement a Silverlight front-end for our Netdiagram ASP.NET control, which is what I'd recommend for using in web apps. This should be available in 2-3 months. The Silverlight control will be also available with our WPF product.

IP Logged

Stoyo
God Member

MindFusion support

Reply #9 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Here is a pre-release version of our Silverlight diagramming control for anyone who wishes to try it. It requires Silverlight RC0:
https://mindfusion.eu/_beta/diaglite.zip

The archive also includes a sample project we use for testing the control. From our observations, with the big version most people use WPF user-controls as nodes, so that's shown in the test project - click the Link Controls button to enable the LinkControl behavior, and then drawing with the mouse will create TestControl.xaml instances.

The control currently implements everything we planned for version 1.0, except Bezier links, link routing and automatic layout algorithms. These should be ready next week.

Stoyan
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2008 at 7:55am by Stoyo »  

IP Logged

Stoyo
God Member

MindFusion support

Reply #10 - Oct 16th, 2008 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
A new build of diagramlite.dll is available here:
https://mindfusion.eu/_beta/diaglite.zip

- now the main namespace is called MindFusion.Diagramming.Silverlight;
- the Bezier links style has been implemented
- the graph layout classes has been ported
- now the control is built against the official Silverlight 2 version

Stoyan

IP Logged

recycle
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
Hi Styoan... we were considering developing a WPF app, but now we are thinking of possibly making it a pure Silverlight one. Do you guys think your Silverlight version will (at some point) have all the features the WPF one has? Do you guys see any significant limitations going with Silverlight? (Exluding of course the nautral limitations when hosted in a web-browser.)

Thanks for any insight.

IP Logged

Stoyo
God Member

MindFusion support

Reply #12 - Oct 25th, 2008 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Hi,

We expect all features of the core component to be available after a two or three releases. We do not plan to implement SVG/Visio/PDF import and export components specifically for the Silverlight version, but instead rely on the ones coming with our ASP.NET package, where the Silverlight component will be available as a front-end.

As for limitations, Silverlight does not provide a low-level access to the WPF rendering system, but expects the component’s UI to be implemented by composing other UIElements. The standard item types in the full WPF version are more lightweight, being Visual objects that override the Render method. In the Silverlight version item types are a composition of UIElements such as Grids, TextBlocks and Paths, and are more resource-intensive. As a result the Silverlight version will probably work a bit slower when displaying a lot of items.

Stoyan

IP Logged

TheMonkey
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 1:15pm
Print Post  

I'm checking out the SL2 build, and have some issues with it. Do you want bugs and other issues reported in the WpfDiagrammer bug section?

Also, is there a plan for regularly releasing betas of this, or is it more of a "from time to time, when it seems appropriate" kind of a thing?

IP Logged

Stoyo
God Member

MindFusion support

Reply #14 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
We'll release a beta version with installer, help file and samples next week. For the time being, you could report bugs here.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint