Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic EMF-files (Read 2587 times)
MagnusSpeychal

EMF-files
May 19th, 2008 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Hi!

I have exported my diagram to an emf-file. Most of the objects in the diagram are transparent boxes with shapes consisting of decoration lines and ellipses. When loading the emf-file into another program, e.g. MS Word, and resizing it, some of the objects get thinner lines than others although they have been created in a similar way. I have both printed the result and created a PDF-file so the problem is not due to MS Word.

Further investigation has shown that it is objects which have been rotated which get thinner lines when resized.

Do you know the reason for this?

Best regards,
Magnus

IP Logged

Stoyo
God Member

MindFusion support

Re: EMF-files
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2008 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Hi,

I suppose scaling the metafile in Word affects the line thickness, and it would be expected to have some lines thicker than others if you resize the metafile without keeping the width/height ratio. E.g. horizontal lines would not change their thickness if you stretch the image only horizontally, while vertical lines would be affected much. Lines whose slope varies between horizontal / vertical would be affected to a different extent, depending how their slope compares to the change in the width / height ratio after resizing.

Stoyan

IP Logged

MagnusSpeychal

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2008 at 7:03am
Print Post  
Hi Stoyan

Yes, I agree with you but all croping and resizing in MS Word has been done with maintained width/height ratio. Also, when resizing lines which are all e.g. vertical, these lines behave differently i.e. some get a different line thickness than others.
To be completly sure that this is not due to MS Word, I think I will need to find a picture editor which can manipulate emf-files and try resizing here. Finding such an editor has proved harder than expected since most editors convert the vector graphic emf-file to a bitmap representation when loading it. I need an editor which handles emf-files as vector graphics.

Do you know of such an editor?

Best regards,
Magnus

IP Logged

Stoyo
God Member

MindFusion support

Reply #3 - May 20th, 2008 at 9:07am
Print Post  
This could happen by rounding errors introduced because of scaling. The thickness for some lines might be rounded up, while for other rounded down. I don't think you will find any application that displays metafiles differently than Word. Most likely all of them just call the Windows PlayMetaFile API function.

Stoyan

IP Logged

MagnusSpeychal

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2008 at 9:22am
Print Post  
Hi Stoyan

OK, I guess I will have to accept this when working with EMF-files. I might have to choose the size of the picture depending on the looks as a work-around.

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,
Magnus

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint