Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Overlapping links (Read 5777 times)
roman.fq
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Overlapping links
Aug 28th, 2008 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Hi

My diagram has many links and some segments are shared between them, so it's difficult to trace sometimes what nodes a link connects.

Is there anything I can do so that no two links overlap?

Thanks
Román

IP Logged

Stoyo
God Member

MindFusion support

Re: Overlapping links
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Hi,

You might enable Diagram.RouteLinks, set LinkStyle = Cascading, and set a higher RoutingOptions.CrossingCost. CrossingCost is considered only for cascading links.

I hope that helps,
Stoyan

IP Logged

roman.fq
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Stoyo

Many thanks for your quick reply. I followed your advice and set RouteLinks = true, LinkStyle = Cascading and CrossingCost (on RoutingOptions if that's correct) to the maximum 255. I still have some undesirable shared segments.

Would you like to see a pic of my diagram? In such case, how do I post it?

IP Logged

Stoyo
God Member

MindFusion support

Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2008 at 7:32am
Print Post  
You can email it to me - click the icon on the left - or upload it on your server and link to it from here.

If there are many links, you might try using a bit smaller RoutingOptions.GridSize. If there aren't enough grid squares to fit all links, they will end up sharing some squares and will overlap.

Stoyan

IP Logged

roman.fq
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2008 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Stoyo

I just emailed you the snapshot and described my problem. Decreasing GridSize makes it look exactly better. If there's no solution to the problem (maybe is hard to implement that, according to what I've been reading) then no problem, clients will understand I guess.

Thanks for your prompt help
Román

IP Logged

Stoyo
God Member

MindFusion support

Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2008 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Hi,

Have you decreased Diagram.RoutingOptions.GridSize or Diagram.GridSize? From the screenshot it looks as if RoutingOptions.GridSize has a large value (that's the distance you can see between parallel link segments in the dense area at the top-right). As a rule of thumb, if there are N links going between a pair of adjacent nodes, the distance between these nodes should be at least (N+2) * RoutingOptions.GridSize to avoid overlapping segments. So you might try either placing the nodes further from each other, or setting a smaller Diagram.RoutingOptions.GridSize value.

Additionally, routing preserves the end-point positions of links. To avoid overlapping first and last segments, you might have to distribute the link end-points along the sides of nodes so that links do not start or end at the same point.

Another option is the OrthogonalLayout: it arranges only links, without moving nodes, and it does not use a fixed-size grid but tries to distribute the links uniformly across the space available between nodes.

I hope that helps,
Stoyan

IP Logged

roman.fq
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Aug 29th, 2008 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Stoyo

Many thanks again for your replies, I will follow your suggestions once again. I was using only the Orthogonal layout and placing the nodes in a grid, but the result is that you just saw, seems that determining the best position for each node according to its relation to others is a bit of a nightmare.

I guess my clients are going to be happy enough with this basic version....

Román

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint