Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic SaveToXML Bug? (Read 5905 times)
Bjorn
YaBB Newbies

Alfadata Technologies
Corporation

SaveToXML Bug?
Oct 20th, 2011 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Hello,

I hope I can convey my issue clearly.

I am using savetoxml and loadfromxml with some customobjects, and I have come accross the scenario where the loadfromxml is getting called on the wrong custom object. For example, the loadfromxml is failing in my Alfadata.SchematicValveConnector
when attempting to read it's properties from the xml, and if I use the debugger, I see that the ByVal xmlElement As System.Xml.XmlElement looks like this in the debugger:

<Node Class="Alfadata.schematicEmptyConnector" Id="836" Version="1">
[...]
</Node>

Note, that it isn't a Alfadata.SchematicValveConnector element at all, so of course it cannot find the properties that a valveconnector expects.

Tracing through the xml looking for clues,
I found that another object has ID 836 listed in it's attachment section, but lists it as a SchematicValveConnector:
<Node Class="Alfadata.SchematicTableConnector" Id="350" Version="1">
<Bounds>2095.528, 1452.104, 37.59689, 2</Bounds>
<ZIndex>350</ZIndex>
<HyperLink />
<ToolTip />
<Locked>False</Locked>
<Visible>True</Visible>
<Printable>True</Printable>
<Brush Id="0" />
<Pen>
<Color>#00FFFFFF</Color>
<DashOffset>0</DashOffset>
<DashStyle>0</DashStyle>
<LineJoint>0</LineJoint>
<MiterLimit>10</MiterLimit>
<Width>0</Width>
</Pen>
<Font>
<Name>Tahoma</Name>
<Size>3.5</Size>
<Unit>0</Unit>
<Bold>False</Bold>
<Italic>False</Italic>
<Underline>False</Underline>
<Strikeout>False</Strikeout>
<GdiCharSet>0</GdiCharSet>
</Font>
<ShadowBrush Id="0" />
<ShadowOffsetX>0</ShadowOffsetX>
<ShadowOffsetY>0</ShadowOffsetY>
<SubordinateGroup>
<MainItem Id="350" ClassId="Alfadata.SchematicTableConnector" Version="1" />
<Attachments>
<Attachment>
<Item Id="836" ClassId="Alfadata.SchematicValveConnector" Version="1" />
<Type>6</Type>
<Data>3</Data>
<Percents>-9.466553, -9.466675, -28.13034, 7.466675</Percents>
</Attachment>
<Attachment>
<Item Id="985" ClassId="Alfadata.SchematicValveConnector" Version="1" />
<Type>6</Type>
<Data>3</Data>
<Percents>-9.466553, -9.466675, -28.13034, 7.466675</Percents>
</Attachment>
</Attachments>
<Visible>True</Visible>
<AutoDeleteItems>False</AutoDeleteItems>
<Expandable>False</Expandable>
<FollowMasterRotation>False</FollowMasterRotation>
<PrevRect>2095.528, 1452.104, 37.59689, 2</PrevRect>
<FollowMasterContainment>False</FollowMasterContainment>
</SubordinateGroup>

[...]

I am trying to figure out how it is possible for the attachment section to have this listed as a different type of object than the actual object was saved as, so I can fix it and prevent it from using the wrong custom object to load the XML with. Can you provide any direction?

Thanks again for your support.

IP Logged

Stoyo
God Member

MindFusion support

Re: SaveToXML Bug?
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
Hi,

The xml id corresponds to the node's ZIndex, which should be unique in the diagram. So I imagine this problem could happen if the node's ZIndex changes after its SubordinateGroup reference is saved, and before the actual node data is saved. Are you explicitly setting items' ZIndex at any point?

Stoyan

IP Logged

Bjorn
YaBB Newbies

Alfadata Technologies
Corporation

Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
Yes, I use the ZTop() function to ensure that the valve nodes are on top of the links and stuff.  Thank you, I will change how that works and see if that resolves the issue.

IP Logged

Bjorn
YaBB Newbies

Alfadata Technologies
Corporation

Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
I changed the code that changes the z-index to first ungroup the objects and then regroup them afterwards and this does indeed seem to have worked around the issue.  Thanks alot for your help!

IP Logged

Quinn
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Nov 22nd, 2011 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
The fix that Bjorn implimented as follows has not corrected the issue.

'ZTop will screw up the grouping for savetoxml, so we need to only ungroup and regroup to do a ztop.
    Private Sub fixed_ztop(ByVal node As ISchematicConnector)
       CType(node, MindFusion.Diagramming.DiagramNode).Detach()
       CType(node, MindFusion.Diagramming.DiagramNode).ZTop()
       node.AttachToTable()
    End Sub

Before the change to alter the Z-Index only a couple of the schematics files would cause issue. Now every save corrupts the XML file causing nodes to be lost and missing data.

&&Quinn Olson, President
IP Logged

Quinn
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - Nov 22nd, 2011 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
The two attached images shows the schematic before and after a save. For some reason the nodes get mixed up and the layout is corrupted. This only happens when using Load or Save from XML. Binary worked fine in the past.

http://www.integrityobjects.com/before_save.png
http://www.integrityobjects.com/after_save.png

&&Quinn Olson, President
IP Logged

Stoyo
God Member

MindFusion support

Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2011 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Calling any of the Z* methods or setting ZIndex while saving a file is the cause of this problem, not the fix. You should not change Z order while a file is being saved or loaded.

When saving XML files, ZIndex values are used as identifiers. During some serialization event, such value might have already been saved as a node's id in a group, and if you change it from the event handler, this will lead to various problem when loading the file later.

Perhaps you should add breakpoints to all lines that set ZIndex or call Z* methods, and see which one is called while SaveToXml runs. It might be something buried down a deep call stack that you might not be expecting to run during serialization.

Stoyan

IP Logged

Stoyo
God Member

MindFusion support

Reply #7 - Nov 22nd, 2011 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Another cause for this might be calling SaveToXml asynchronously and changing ZIndex while the diagram is still being saved, e.g. from some NodeClicked event handler. If you are using asynchronous serialization, you should probably block all user input into the diagram until the save method returns.

IP Logged

Quinn
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - Nov 22nd, 2011 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
I cannot find any part of our code where any ".Z" methods are being called. The only one I can find is the Diagram.cs file of MindFusions where the FixZOrder function is called.

Is there any way to completely remove or rebuild the Z-indexes prior to saving.

If I take a legacy version the read and write binary it works fine but then we have issues saving / loading between winforms and ASP .NET.

&&Quinn Olson, President
IP Logged

Stoyo
God Member

MindFusion support

Reply #9 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 7:15am
Print Post  
Indices might change also if you create or delete items while serialization code still runs.

If you have the diagram code, you can see the serialization method is quite simple. It loops over nodes and creates XML elements for them with an id attribute set to ZIndex. When saving groups, there are "attachment" elements created with a single line added for the child node through the WriteItemReference method. WriteItemReference sets ZIndex as the id value too.

The xml above apparently shows how the 836 ZIndex of a SchematicValveConnector node becomes the ZIndex of a SchematicEmptyConnector node at the time when the loop over Nodes gets from saving the group to saving the empty connector.

If this changing id value is something you can reproduce consistently, add a breakpoint to the Diagram.SetZIndex method and you should be able to find what exactly changes the index after SaveToXml starts running. If you send us the code for your custom nodes along with any serialization event handlers (SerializeTag or SerializeControl), our developer will try debugging that too.

Regarding binary serialization, we released NetDiagram 4.1 last week - its binary format should be compatible with the latest Windows Forms version.

I hope that helps,
Stoyan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint