Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Memory usage (Read 6450 times)
martmuller
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Memory usage
Jul 1st, 2010 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Hi,
I have a problem using the Calendar control and the memory that the browser takes. I have the control on a page and each time I navigate to this page ieplore.exe takes about 20mb of memory to render de calendar control. Each time I navigate from this page, the Garbage Collector does not collect the object, so my application has a memory leak.

I found some articles how to deal with the GC in Silverlight, so I tried to clear all references like eventhandlers and clearing the UIElement collections when navigating from this page. I also implemented the IDisposable interface and tried to set all controls to null. After collecting the garbage the memory is not released however.

Are you familiar with this problem? Can you guide me to a solution or workaround?

Thanks in advance!
Mart

IP Logged

Meppy
God Member

MindFusion support

Re: Memory usage
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2010 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Can you try calling the GC.GetTotalMemory method and see if there is any improvement?

Regards,
Meppy

IP Logged

martmuller
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2010 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Hi,
No improvements when calling that method. Can you reproduce the problem?

Mart

IP Logged

Meppy
God Member

MindFusion support

Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2010 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
The memory used displayed in the Task Manager does not necessary display managed memory in-use. My initial idea was to call GC.GetTotalMemory method in between page reloads and see if the returned number changes dramatically (which might be an indication of a memory leak).

Regards,
Meppy

IP Logged

martmuller
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2010 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
Ok, I will investigate the total of memory when switching pages this way. I'll let you know the results.

Mart

IP Logged

martmuller
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2010 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Ok, I've investigated the GC memory behaviour using the GC.GetTotalMemory method. When I open the page it contains 5Mb, when the page is loaded, it had 7Mb, when I navigate from the page it still has 7.

Then when I enter the page again, it increases again with 2 Mb and so on. When unregister the eventhandlers on the calendar control and when collecting the GC, the memory is not released.

I tried this in a simple page without many modifications on the control in code. I do also have a page with lots of modifications in timetablesettings, etc, which takes up a lot more memory.

It is a serieus problem in our case because our application is all about planning and activities in calendars Smiley

Regards,
Mart

IP Logged

Meppy
God Member

MindFusion support

Reply #6 - Jul 6th, 2010 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Can you try with the version below and see if there is any improvement to this issue:

https://mindfusion.eu/_pln_trial/MindFusion.Scheduling.Silverlight.2.1.1c.zip

Let me know of your observations.

Regards,
Meppy

IP Logged

martmuller
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Hi Meppy,
This build does the trick! The GC releases the memory properly now.

We just bought a licence for the calender control. I assume this build is a trial? Can you provide me with a licenced version as well?

Thanks a lot!
Mart

IP Logged

Meppy
God Member

MindFusion support

Reply #8 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
I have sent you a private message containing a link to the most recent licensed build of MindFusion.Scheduling for Silverlight.

Meppy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint