Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Link Routing (Read 4658 times)
Devon
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Link Routing
Jan 19th, 2012 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
When i'm using the routing functions they routes the lines choose sometimes are very inefficient. I'm using quick route for the routing. I tried to use grid routing, it's better at choosing routes but it passes through shapes sometimes even with NodeVicinityCost 255. Do you have any recommondations on making the routing better? I have attached a screen shot of some examples of what it's choosing compared to what I think it should do,the highlighed link is the one to focus on.

Example_1_Combined.PNG (Attachment deleted)
Example_2_Combined.PNG (Attachment deleted)
Example_3_Combined.PNG (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Stoyo
God Member

MindFusion support

Re: Link Routing
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Example 1: Try setting smaller QuickRouter.UBendMaxLen value if you'd like the U-bend segments to be shorter in this example.

Example 2: Generally this happens because QuickRouter ignores link lengths but only counts the number of tiles (each tile possibly having different dimensions) generated by some kind of spatial trees. Our developer is looking into ways to implement evaluation of true link lengths without slowing down the algorithm. In this particular case you might get better results if you set larger QuickRouter.TurnCost value.

Example 3: Larger QuickRouter.TurnCost value should help here.

GridRouter: Path finding fails if some nodes are too close to each other (distance <= twice the router's grid size). In that case the empty area between such nodes might still be marked as an obstacle if the nodes intersect the grid tiles. You could either decrease the grid size, which will lead to slower path finding, or otherwise pull such nodes away from each before routing the links.

I hope that helps,
Stoyan

IP Logged

Devon
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
In the first picture no matter what I set the TurnCost to, it doesn't have any effect on it.  I have tried 255, 9999 and single.maxvalue and non of them have any change on it.  In the second picture I have turned Granularity to Normal and it chooses a different route but I really don't think that's ones any better.  Do you have any other suggestions to make this work?

Example_4.PNG (Attachment deleted)
Example_4_Normal.PNG (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Stoyo
God Member

MindFusion support

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Could you attach the diagram xml file here or email it to support@mindfusion.eu?

IP Logged

Devon
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Here is the example. I opened it in MindFusion.Diagramming Demo and tried the fixes I tried in my application(TurnCost = 9999 and UBendlength = 1) and it doesn't help.

XML_with_bad_routing.zip (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Stoyo
God Member

MindFusion support

Reply #5 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
The problem in this case is that the attached transparent nodes you are using as labels are very big but are marked as obstacles. If you do this after loading the file, you will see that the "delay" and "annunciate" labels overlap and the link cannot pass between them:

foreach (ShapeNode node in diagram.Nodes)
    node.Transparent = false;

You could either set Obstacle = false for label nodes, or set their Bounds.Width to be no bigger than the master node's Width.

I hope that helps,
Stoyan

IP Logged

Devon
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Thank you, that fixed that problem. I was wondering if you could tell me if there's anything I can do to get the next example to be better? It should just go all the way down then right(The highlighted line). Setting a high turncost did make it slightly better but not much. Or is this a limition to Quickrouter that you were talking about earlier? I have attached the xml and a picture of it. Thank you for your time.

Long_Route.PNG (Attachment deleted)
Long_Route.zip (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Stoyo
God Member

MindFusion support

Reply #7 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
It seems TurnCost is considered only if Granularity is set to Normal:

QuickRouter router = (QuickRouter)diagram.LinkRouter;
router.TurnCost = 100;
router.Granularity = Granularity.Normal;

Increasing TurnCost from 50 to 100 leads to much fewer bends, but it's still not quite perfect. And then when I tried larger costs, it started showing the longer path again, which is very strange. Our developer will debug this next week to see what exactly happens.

Stoyan

IP Logged

Stoyo
God Member

MindFusion support

Reply #8 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Our developer made some improvements on how long links are routed by QuickRouter. Could you check if this version works any better with your diagrams?

https://mindfusion.eu/_beta/fcnet_longroutes.zip

Stoyan

IP Logged

Devon
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Jan 31st, 2012 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
It works much better(not perfect).  Do you have any time estimate when these changes will be released?

IP Logged

Stoyo
God Member

MindFusion support

Reply #10 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 8:08am
Print Post  
In a couple of months.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint