Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Layered layout and container nodes (Read 1629 times)
Anna Malashkina
YaBB Newbies

I Love MindFusion!

Layered layout and container nodes
Mar 25th, 2020 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Hi all!
As far as I understand, layered layout for diagram with nested container nodes works in the following way: layout should be applied to each container node from the bottom nested level up to the high one and then the layered layout should be applied to the whole diagram. Am I right?

In this case if there are links from internal nodes outside the container the links will be ignored by the layout algorithm. Please see the picture attached.

What would you recommend in this case?

nested_groups.png ( 5 KB | 122 Downloads )
nested_groups.png

IP Logged

Slavcho
YaBB Moderator

tech.support

Re: Layered layout and container nodes
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2020 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Hi Anna,

The outermost layout will see that container as a single node with three links, so it won't try to reorder nodes from adjacent layer to match children. If you'll have at most one container per layer, an option might be to first arrange the diagram without containers, and then add containers and move the already arranged child nodes to them.

Regards,
Slavcho

IP Logged

Anna Malashkina
YaBB Newbies

I Love MindFusion!

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
Unfortunately we have a lot of containers and different nested levels. Do you have any plan to implement common algorithm for such cases?

IP Logged

Slavcho
YaBB Moderator

tech.support

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2020 at 9:09am
Print Post  
We haven't had such plans; we'll have it in mind for next releases. Arranging while trying to preserve alignments on multiple nested levels will make the layout code much more complex than it already is though, so it will take some months to code. For short term you might look for other solutions, such as not letting links from child nodes go outside their container - link directly from / to the container instead, and associate links with child nodes by matching colors or labels. Alternatively if your child nodes always take a single column, it could be easy enough to sort the column after the layout to reduce link crossings.

Regards,
Slavcho

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint